Massacres and Matinees
I’m completely behind in my recaps again, so, without any extra fanfare, let’s find out what got my freak on about Episode 2 (entitled Massacres and Matinees) of FX’s American Horror: Story Freak Show:
- Music that is totally current and not in the time frame of AHS Freak Show. Seriously, that version of Fiona Apple’s Criminal was just delicious! And so glad Bette and Dot (Sarah Paulson) picked this over shooting ping pong balls out of their vajayjays! (Yeah, that was nearly a thing *shudders*)
- The complicated mess of Bette and Dot in general. Whether is coming to the realisation that Bette can’t sing and goes all ‘I’ll put put you with yo mamma’ eyes on Dot or the burgeoning love blossoming in the prudish heart of Dot towards Edward Penishands (AKA Lobster Boy, played by Evan Peters), I am relishing this character for more than her ‘look at my two-headed CGI’ I was expecting this season.
- The hate I have for the strong man Del Toledo, (played by Michael Chiklis). There are all sorts of complications with his arrival. He brings with him a three titted hermaphrodite (played fantastically by Angela Bassett), a past that included fathering Edward Penishands (seems he has a thing for blokey women) and a bad mood that resulted in him having to move along quickly after killing a man. Elsa (Jessica Lange) hires him on the spot (of course) and then we find out what a control freak he really is. No one can tell him what the fuck to do and he begins to run the freak show any old way he likes. This results in Penishands trying to frame the death of the snoopy cop from Episode 1 (entitled Mosters Among Us) on him. Of course cranky pants sees this coming and double crosses Penishands in quite a manner. At first I am all ‘why didn’t he just plant the cop’s badge in Penishands’ trailer?’ It becomes apparent though that his need for sick revenge goes deeper than an eye for an eye. By planting the badge in Meep the Geek’s (Ben Woolf) trailer, we get to see a freak that will rip the head off live chickens but doesn’t fare so well in the local lock up. Poor Penishands is gonna feel mighty guilty for getting Meep killed like that…
- Twisty the Clown (John Carroll Lynch) gets a bestie. I kinds like the fact we are getting under the skin of the clown. I really want to know WHY he seems intent on building a happy little family in the woods. Dandy Mott (Finn Wittrock), however, falls totally into my Freak Off list today…)
- Speaking of Twisty, we got a sneak peek under his mask in this episode. And let that be a stern reminder to all you kiddies out there that dental hygiene is REALLY important!
- Pepper (Naomi Grossman) wanting meatloaf – no matter what’s going on around her!
- Totally thought Twisty the Clown would turn out to be Dandy Mott. It’s a shame that didn’t happen…
- Speaking of Dandy – could he get any more annoyingly overacted? Ditto for his mother. And I really hate to say that since I am such a HUGE fan of Frances Conroy :-(
- So a serial killer clown can walk along a road in broad daylight during a murder spree and not get noticed by the police?
- Bette and Elsa are chatting about Dot while she sleeps. Apparently telepathy doesn’t count here?
What the FREAK Just Happened?
- Twisty’s family escaping. Has that woman never watched a horror movie? Make sure that shit is dead before fleeing the scene. It might have given her half a chance of escaping Dandy’s advancements…
So, what did you think of Episode 2 of FX’s AHS Freak Show? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
And, just because I LOVE the song so much, here’s Dot’s rendition of Fiona Apple’s Criminal:
(Photo Credits: FX)
- AHS Freak Show Recap – Episode 1: Monsters Among Us (racheltsoumbakos.wordpress.com)