Well, here we are, right at the tail end of Season 5 of AMC’s The Walking Dead. They promised us a 90 minute episode to tide us over until Season 6 starts in October 2015. Was it enough? Hell NO, it wasn’t! This episode felt like it ran for no more than half an hour. The tension built and burst over like a dam with its walls imploding. The episode was magnificent and satisfying and tantalising and frustrating all rolled into one! So here’s what went down in Episode 16 (entitled Conquer) – and sorry it is all out of order, but it has been a while since I watched it ;-):
- Morgan (Lennie James) returns – and it’s not just a cameo, it’s in full Donatello zen warrior-style! Not only so we finally get to see Morgan for more than a couple of frames at a time, he manages to introduce us to just how sick and twisted the big bad will be for Season 6!
- Let’s welcome the Wolves, while many had made the connection between the ‘W’ inscribed onto the foreheads of walkers and the graffiti referring to wolves, AMC finally came out into the open and let us all know for sure that this is what will be going down in the next season. What we now know are that this group of individuals actually think they are (or will evolve into) wolves. Even though their instincts are basal, they still seem smarter than the likes of Daryl (Norman Reedus) and Aaron (Ross Marquand) who don’t see the warning signs when entering a cannery and manage to open up a big ole truck-o-walkers.
- Luckily, thanks to Morgantello, Daryl and Aaron are rescued and Daryl works out that their saviour is an old mate of Rick’s (Andrew Lincoln).
- So, what’s up Rick? Seems he is all patched up and stuck in a safe house for the time being, but at least all the cards get laid on the table and now the likes of Michonne (Danai Gurira) is on the same page as
the inner sanctumRick and Carol (Melissa McBride) again.
- Speaking of Carol, she has a nice little ‘chat’ to Porch Dick Pete (Corey Brill) about what it’s like to be at the pointy end of Carol’s radar. At least Carol bought casserole – but, oh no, does Pete give a shit? Nope, seems like no one is game to taste Carol’s delicious cooking…
- Sasha (Sonequa Martin-Green) is suffering pretty bad from PTSD this week:
So is so messed up she ends up having a pray-in with Father Gabriel (Seth Gilliam).
- Remember Gabriel? Yeah, don’t think by him having a pray-in with Sasha is any redeeming quality on his behalf – he blames Sasha for being everything wrong in the world first (mental projection much Father G???) as well as leaving the motherfucking gate OPEN!
- Uh-huh, the gate to the Alexandria Safe Zone is left open! So, you just know what is gonna happen. Yep, walkers happen. Because they can’t smell out a human when they are standing still, but they can smell out a whole community of them when the gate is left open.
- Luckily, Rick is coherent this week and manages to singlehandedly take down the marauding horde and save the day rather than talk about all the stuff and shit he’s done up to this point to make the people of Alexandria concerned about him. but more on that a bit later on…
- Let’s talk about Glenn (Steven Yeun) and Nasty Nick (Michael Traynor) for a moment or two. It seems these two just can’t leave each other alone and Glenn can’t kill Nick even though Nick is trying real hard to take Glenn out. You know, through all five seasons of The Walking Dead, Glenn hasn’t killed a human yet, and this episode is fruitless as well. Even though Nick nearly takes Glenn out several times, Glenn is still hesitant to put out the garbage. Seriously Glenn, just kill the guy already?!
- There is some stuff involving Tara (Alanna Masterson), Abraham (Michael Cudlitz), Rosita (Christian Serratos) and Eugene (Josh McDermitt) but this is more to remind the viewer that they are still alive rather than move the story forward any, so now we can move onto the MEETING.
- Yeah, so Alexandria want to talk about the problem of Rick, except Rick doesn’t show to defend himself and the meeting gets started without him. Shit is talked about just long enough for Rick to arrive, walkers in hand to prove the point he is the best thing to ever happen to Alexandria. Pete arrives and lops off poor Reg’s (Steve Coulter) head which means the meeting is now not at all about talking but more about doing and Deanna (Tovah Feldshuh) is now totally okay with murder. RIP Pete – like anyone really cares…
- So you think this is totally awesome, but wait, it gets better, because Daryl and Aaron arrives with Morgan just in time for Morgantello to witness Rick blowing out Porch Dick’s brains. Yeah, awkward much? Well, we’ll have to wait until Season 6 to find out 😉
What did you think of the Season 5 finale of The Walking Dead? Let me know your thoughts by commenting below! If you have any theories on Season 6, you can add them to the Season 5 conspiracy theories page until I have a chance to set up a new post exclusively for Season 6. Also, did you pick up all the Walking Dead Easter Eggs? Compare your list with mine on my Inquistr article here.
You can read my Season 6 Episode 1 recap here.
(Photo Credits: AMC)
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Recap – Episode 15: Try (racheltsoumbakos.wordpress.com)