Edward Mordrake (Part 1)
So here’s what got my freak on (and off) about Episode 3 (entitled Edward Mordrake, Part 1) of FX’s American Horror Story Freak Show:
- It’s Halloween in Freak Show – and what better way to celebrate it with the old carnie urban legend of the two-headed Edward Mordrake (Wes Bentley)? He’s a tortured character who ended up taking his own life rather than fight between his two faces – are you getting scared now Bette and Dot (Sarah Paulson)? But now, as a result, no freak show can perform on Halloween unless they want to release the Mordrake.
- Which Elsa (Jesisca Lange) totally did with her version of the Lana Del Rey tune, Gods and Monsters. As a result, one carnie will die…
- But let’s get back to Bette and Dot, shall we? Seems Bette may have flipped it and killed their mother, but it’s really Dot you need to watch out for on account of her wanting to find a doctor who will cut off Bette’s head. Or did Dot make Bette kill their mother? *confused*
- Desiree Dupree (Angela Bassett) in that maid costume. Seriously, between that and the Viking helmet worn by Mr. OMGIsThatADick’s (more on him later) paramour, I think we have Halloween costumes and kinky just about cornered.
- Now, for the aforementioned Mr. OMGIsThatADick. Say hello to Denis O’Hare playing Stanley. Not only does he have a very long penis, but he wants to covet freak show body parts on the black market.
- So, enter Maggie Esmerelda (Emma Roberts). She is Mr. OMGIsThatADick’s assistant who is also a very good fraudulent fortune teller. But that’s okay because Elsa is happy to believe any cock-a-ninny story pulled off by freaks wanting to enter her show. So now she has her foot in the freak show, it’s anyone’s guess as to who her boss will want to kill first.
- The bearded lady, Ethel Darling (Kathy Bates), goes and gets all terminal so suggests to I-nearly-murdered-our-child Dell Toledo (Michael Chiklis) that it was time for him to step up to the plate and look after Jimmy Darling Penishands (Evan Peters).
- Clowns. Yeah, we all hate ’em now thanks to this show. I just can’t work out who is scarier, Twisty (John Carroll Lynch) or wannabe serial killer Dandy Mott (Finn Wittrock)?
What the FREAK Just Happened?
- Just on those flashbacks Ethel. Really? You’re going to leave your precious darling boy with a man who used his live birth as an event at freak show? Seriously woman?!
What did you think of Episode 3 (entitled Edward Mordrake, Part 1) of FX’s AHS Freak Show? Let me know your thoughts by commenting below!
And here’s the obligatory YouTube video of this week’s tune:
You can read my Episode 4 recap here.
(Photo Credits: FX)
- AHS Freak Show Recap – Episode 2: Massacres and Matinees (racheltsoumbakos.wordpress.com)