|American Horror Story Asylum: Briarcliff|
- Both were built at the start of twentieth century. Briarcliff in 1908 and Larundel in 1938 (but the larger facility it belonged to, Mont Park, was founded in 1912. However the oldest buildings which were built around 1911, now officially belong to the Larundel section)
- Briarcliff was originally a tuberculosis centre. While Larundel never housed tuberculosis sufferers, the buildings that did, were situated in the very next suburb
- Larundel housed the criminally insane. People like serial killer Peter Dupas spent time there. These ‘locked wards’ have now been demolished, but there are plenty of stories on the Internet that claim the houses built over that area are now haunted. Briarcliff converted to a centre for the criminally insane in the 1960s
- Even the name forms a coincidence. While Larundel is in the suburb of Bundoora, a mere three suburbs away is one called Briar Hill
- Bloody Face the serial killer. As I said in an earlier point, Larundel housed serial killers. While Dupas was not known by any fancy serial killer tag, he was known to mutilate his female victims in a bloody fashion
- Dr. Arthur Arden performs torture on his patients in an attempt to discover the meaning of madness. While there have been no actual reports of behaviour like this at Larundel, there have been plenty of unsubstantiated rumours
- Graffiti – both places have tons of it! Not to mention the mess! People just don’t seem kind to old asylums
|Australian Horror Story Asylum: Larundel|
All this and so far I have only watched a small portion of American Horror Story: Asylum!
Let me know if I have missed any.
You can check out my novel for even more comparisons between the two asylums by clicking here or by clicking on the book cover below: