**UPDATED: 31st March 2014***
Since we had so much fun with all the crazy awesome conspiracy theories last year on AMC’s The Walking Dead, I thought I’d start up a new one for Season 4. Let me know your ideas on what will eventuate in Season 4 and I’ll update regularly so we know which is right or wrong!
Black – Theory only, neither confirmed or denied yet
Red – Theory busted!
Green – Theory confirmed
Blue – Extra commentary
He is holed up somewhere close to the prison so he can keep an eye on what is going on.Sure he was close to the prison at the end, but he wasn’t keeping tabs on them until the very end.
- Michonne (Danai Gurira) will get abducted by him. √
Thanks to blog reader Ashe for suggesting that the Governor is actually the one leaving the rats for the zombies. Considering it’s been months and there is still that great dirty hole in the prison wall, there is a good chance he could be sneaking in and creating chaos. Those burned bodies in Episode 2 could also be his handy work.The bodies were the handy work of Carol. As for the rats, it appears that the Governor was too busy being crazy elsewhere with Lilly, Tara and Meagan to be placing rats inside the prison.
- The Governor (after being stabbed by Michonne and shot by Lilly (Audrey Marie Anderson) in the mid season finale) is not actually dead.
We will see the Governor later on in Season 4 as a zombie!Since Season 4 has finished, this theory is no longer plausible.
- Will flip it like his daddy did last season.
Did anyone else notice how Rick (Andrew Lincoln) was staring at that eyeless zombie in Episode 1? Who is it and why does he seem important to Rick?This was just a way of showing the audience that there were flu zombies out there.
- This is the town Michonne was staring at on the map in Episode 1. Will it have something to do with the original outbreak?
- This is the town Michonne is from.
- This is where the Governor (David Morrissey) is.
Michonne already has him captive here and is torturing him.
In the opening credits of The Walking Dead Season 4, Glenn’s (Steve Yeun) name is next to a clock, therefore he will die this season.Thanks to blog reader Nya for pointing out that Glenn’s name was next to the clock in Season 3’s opening credits. She also reminded us that Hershel (Scott Wilson) gave Glenn a watch last season to signify his approval of Glenn marrying Maggie.
Carol didn’t really kill Karen and David, she was just covering for Lizzie and Mika – thanks to a vow she made to their dying father to protect them.(Thanks to blog reader whatislyfeman for this awesome idea!)
The Non-zombie Outbreak
Pigs and humans are known scientifically to be able to transmit disease between each other. Could the zombie virus have mutated and infected the pig that died in Episode 1? If this is the case, then perhaps the swine version then reacts differently when it crosses back over into humans and that is why Patrick (Vincent Martella) died.The flu was caused directly by humans and pigs being in close quarters together.
- They seem to be smarter in Season 4.
Perhaps they are massing around the prison fence-line because they have worked out that they can push it down.The rats that a mystery person is feeding to them is what is making them mass around the prison fenceline. Whatever that pig contracted will help to make the zombies smarter.
- Thanks to Nya for also pointing out that in some of the Walking Dead teaser videos, there was evidence of a traitor feeding rats to the zombies outside the Prison to encourage the to swarm around the fences. Nya also suggests that this traitor could be the girl (Lizzy) that Carl was arguing with in Episode 1, the child who kept insisting that zombies were still people and deserved names. √
The Governor has an insider already in the Prison, quite possibly the medic. This medic may have medical knowledge that is leading to the sudden deaths and quick turning of the Prison, starting with Patrick.(Thanks to Joseph Champion for this theory.) Blog reader Jason has noticed that when Prison people were stabbing zombies through the fence, one character stood out as potentially having anger management issues. This man exclaims ‘Take that’ and that seems to be the end of that… Or is it? Jason did a bit of research on this and it turns out this character was billed as David (played by actor Brandon Carroll) in the end credits. Since he was not mentioned by name in Episode 1, who is this mysteriously cranky David and why is he listed in the cast already? Thanks so much for your keen eye Jason!David was killed and burned in Episode 2/3 – or was he? Karen faked her own death.This is disproved at the end of Episode 3 when Carol owns up to killing and burning the bodies.
Daryl & Carol (Caryl)
- Nothing will happen and we will be tortured with the hint of their romance for another season! √
- He was involved in the helicopter crash we saw in Episode 1. He will have vital evidence about the zombie virus mutations (ie. the pig).
Daryl & his Finger Licking Ways:
In Episode 1 we see Daryl lick his fingers before shaking Patrick’s hand. Since Patrick winds up dead by the end of the episode, here’s some ideas on what went down: Daryl is the carrier and infected Patrick. Patrick was the host and now Daryl is infected. Violet the pig is the host and only direct contact with swine will result in contamination (which puts both Carl (Chandler Riggs) and Rick (Andrew Lincoln) at risk.)
- This is simply a case of Swine Flu – so some susceptible people will die of it, others will just get very sick as a result. √
- Since she was born as her mother was dying, she is immune to the zombie virus (Thanks to Eva for this theory :-D )
Tell Tale Games Crossover
- The city of Macon is mentioned in Tell Tale’s game of The Walking Dead.
- The zombie with the bear trap on her leg is also from Episode 2 of the game.
- Thanks to Sanityislife for noting these crossovers!
In Season 3 there were a few recurring zombies. Have you seen any yet? Or have any from Season 3 resurrected in Season 4? Let me know and I will add them to the recurring zombie page.
- The zombie we see at the end of the mid season finale is actually the crazy lady Rick meets up with in the Season 4 premiere.
- In Season 4, Episode 14 (entitled The Grove) we saw Carol, Tyreese, Lizzie and Mika putting together a puzzle. If it was completed, they would have discovered that it was actually an image of Sophia (Madison Lintz), Carol’s daughter who died in Season 2 of The Walking Dead.
For a complete list of Terminus conspiracy theories as well as a more comprehensive discussion, please go here.
- It’s a town filled with cannibals
- Beth (Emily Kinney) is what Mary was cooking up on the grill in Season 4, Episode 15 (entitled Us)
- The group Daryl (Norman Reedus) is with are actually from Terminus
- The Governor’s head will turn up here. Probably in a fish tank…
- The message on all the Terminus signs is actually a riddle, or one of those things where the meaning changes completely once correct punctuation is applied.
- Mary (who appears at the end of Season 4, Episode 15) is the woman from the creepy house of death in Episode 11:
- Mary is Lizzie (Brighton Sharbino) and Mika’s (Kyla Kenedy) mum
- He’s not really a scientist
- He learned all his fancy knowledge from video games
- Beth has been kidnapped to be used in the sex trade (Thanks to Eva Sless for this theory!)
- Beth is on Mary’s BBQ at Terminus
Okay, there’s a few ideas to get you all started! Let me know your ideas and I will add them to the list :-)
(Photo Credits: AMC/Rachel Tsoumbakos)